Saturday, August 22, 2009

on the flight home

From my journal on the airplane: 

The day that I've anticipated and dreaded, looked forward to and wished would never come has at last arrived.  

Woke up around 4:30 this morning to throw my sheet and a few other last minute things into my suitcase before loading in the tro tro for the last time and heading to the airport.  

Customs and security were smooth sailing--my suitcases really are a lot lighter and easier to manage.  We waited a while to board; I spent my last 2 cidi to buy a Fanta.  More waiting, more checks, and then we finally boarded: Delta flight DL167.  Currently we are in the air somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean, leaving Ghana.  Headed back home.  

I haven't yet been able to pinpoint the exact way this experience has affected me.  I feel such inclusive love for my students, the teaching and learning opportunities, the 8 other girls I learned to love and lived with, and so many other blessings I have been given by way of this trip.  GRATITUDE.  

My life has truly been changed, but not in the same way as any previous experience--even London--changed me.  It is so different than anything I know.  I was pushed, pulled, and expanded in ways I never expected.  Time has passed in such a unique manner.  It's a strange feeling.  

Thinking about my students and missing them a little.  Hoping that they continue to feel my love and prayers--even when I am not there with them.  

Thinking about the other volunteers.  I cannot imagine this experience without them.  Today we will part ways.  In each other's lives for nine weeks, and then taken back to our "previous lives."  Isn't it funny how that works?  For over 2 months these girls have been my friends, colleagues, teachers and relief.  So grateful to have them in my life.  

Thinking about going home.  It will be a big adjustment!  Not only to have running water, food, and my own bed, but also heading straight into my career, being with my family, having many more responsibilities than I have had for my time in Ghana.  I've got to start thinking about more than just my amazing Deaf students, which will be fine once I get the hang of it again.  And, honestly, I feel like I'll look at things differently now that I have had this Africa experience.  

1 comment:

Spence said...

I hope this wonderful experience stays in your heart forever.