Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hello Sports Fans!

Well, it has been another amazing Ghanaian week. Surely someone is blessing those rains down in Africa because it has been raining. and raining. and raining. In fact, on Thursday the girls and I had a rain dance and played outside during a particularly heavy rainstorm. Nycole and I washed our hair outside! Likewise, on Friday it started pouring in the middle of the P-4 (fourth grade) vs P-6 (sixth grade) soccer match (which was then cancelled as everyone dashed into the dining hall) and the rain continued for over FOUR HOURS STRAIGHT. I have seen it rain, and I have seen it rain for a long time. But I had never seen a downpour/lightning/thunder rainstorm that lasted that long. I had about 7 kids in my arms at once. They all say, "It is cold, wet! Keep me warm!" When we ran home, mud splattered all over the back of my shorts.

Saturday brought another tro tro trip to Accra. The group from Kibi came down on Friday night so that we could leave early enough (8:30am) to make it for our 10:30am appointment at the Temple! Side note: I can't remember if I have already explained the traffic situation in Ghana, so let me explain again. We ride in tro tros, which are like oversized vans, four to a seat and zero leg room (even for the shorties). Most of the roads are a mixture of paved and not paved. There are no speed limits, traffic signs, regulations for cars, regulations for pedestrians, etc. I have had a couple risky experiences. Traveling, or "tro-troing it" is always an adventure. Even despite the scary traffic, we arrived at the temple about half an hour early. Doing baptisms was excellent; one of the highlights of the trip for sure. It was very quiet in the temple, and the people were very accomodating. Loved it all. Afterwards, we took a lot of pictures and then headed off for Chicken Inn (pizza) and Frankies (ice cream). After eating, our group split off and determined to meet at home later. I went back to the art centre to pick up a few more things. This week was not as fun as last week-- pushier sales people, Ghanaian men grabbing and saying obscene things, everyone giving us a hassle. I was DONE with the art centre by the time we all were ready to leave! On our way back to the tro-tro station, I bought a mango which cheered me up entirely.

Sunday we went to church at the school with the students. They had a lesson taught by one of the JSS student teachers about "Walking in the Spirit." It was interesting. Those kids sure know their bible! After church, a few of my friends- Adwoa, Matilda, and Linda- came over to help me with my laundry. (Long overdue). They helped me get it done so fast! It was raining, so I had to hang everything on the porch or in our family room to dry. (It still isn't dry). I gave the girls crackers and PB with Milo (like hot choc) in thanks for helping me. They love peanut butter! They ate 2/3 of my crackers and 1/3 of a jar of peanut butter. "Sah-weet!" they say.

Monday, half of the girls were sick: Charity, Shea, Kelsey, and Catharine. Our house was quiet and dark. Those of us who were well headed off to school as usual, but even there it was a low-energy day. Lyndsey and I had to leave school a bit early to visit the ATM in Medina. While we were there, I bought a mango-- plus two more to eat this week! Yay.

Can't believe that today is the last day of June! How is the summer going? I hope you have some amazing plans for the 4th of July. I am sad to be missing barbeques and fireworks. Ghana celebrates Republic Day tomorrow, so we have no school! (Probably won't be having a barbeque though...)

I have tried, to no avail, to post pictures... sorry! Thanks for your patience.

Love and miss you all--

Brynn

4 comments:

Coryn said...

Brynn, it sounds like you are having a great time! Keep up the awesome work in Ghana.

The Italian Soda said...

You continue to inspire me! Keep having mangos and know what a great thing you are doing. I hope you're having the best African experience ever!

LOVE YA!

Anonymous said...

BRYNN!! HAPPY 4th of JULY!! I know you love it!!

Anna Lois said...

I have been reading your blog, but just got a Google account. Obviously, this has been a very worthwhile experience for you that will be part of you for many years. Your experience organizing a classroom is invaluable. Doesn't the life of another culture make you ponder the good and the less good things in your own? Looking forward to more interesting comments.