Thursday, June 18, 2009

All Downhill From Here

Hey folks!
So over the weekend we went to Cape Coast and had many fantastic adventures. First of all, we stayed in a hotel surrounded by a crocodile infested swamp! I saw many crocodiles "in the wild" and it was awesome. We threw our leftover chicken into the swamp after dinner and watched them "attack". Next, we walked in the canopy of Kakum rainforest! This was one of my favorite things in Africa so far. You hike into the forest a bit, then climb some stairs into this little hut where the canopy walk begins. There are wooden planks that you walk across from tree to tree. It was raining a little while we were there, so I got soaked! Now I am an official tree-hugger-save-the-rainforest-advocate. After the canopies, we went to 2 different Slave Castles on the coast. It was very sobering and quite sad to hear about how the slaves were treated, but very interesting and historical. Our last stop was the "coconut grove" resturant, which was RIGHT on the beach. We played around in the water, but we didn't swim (sorry Bay). Plus, I ate french fries. And vanilla ice cream (Grammy!). Even despite the ever-so-long hours in a tro-tro, it was a wonderful weekend.
Back to school this week, and it has been a great one. I am in love with these students! It is difficult for me to put into words the connections that we have made. Some things are difficult for me; for example, this week in a P1 (first grade level) class, I taught a writing lesson. As a class, we came up with the beginning and the middle of a story. I gave the students the assignment to finish it-- each one for his or herself. They couldn't do it! They really don't have a concept of "pretend". Rather than playing house or "lost kids", these kids grew up running races, playing hand-slap games, and copying pictures from books or movies. So to ask them to invent an ending to a story was literally unheard of for those kids. On the other hand, some things are easy and rewarding; for example, Nycole has been a bit sick this week and had to miss school for a couple of days. When she came back to school on Wednesday, the students came running and asking her if she was well again, hugging her, and rubbing her hands. Like I said, some of the moments that I have had with specific students is hard to put into words. It is hard to express the way the students love-- they are so unconditional and earnest in the way they love us. It is always gratifying to be around them (even on particularly frustrating days). I am glad that we have been able to spend some considerable time with them; I know the situation would be different if we were only here a week or so.
This weekend we are headed to Accra to explore and shop! We are going to the Art Centre, which supposedly has some very cool stuff. If you have any requests, let me know! :) Our trip is already over halfway through... Can't believe it.
Thank you all for your emails and support! I honestly thrive on your words and relish my internet time each week. I have never had such a hard (but rewarding!) trip, and I am so grateful for the constant foundation of amazing family and friends. I can't wait to show you all of my pictures when I get home! I hope this finds each of you well and enjoying your summer.
LOVE,
Brynn

3 comments:

Erica said...

Wow that is amazing I have always wanted to go to Africa. Thanks for posting.

BJ

Spencer said...

Brynn of love--you sound fabulous! It sounds like such a life-changing trip--which means a total roller coaster of emotions! I'm sure you have been such a blessing to those kids there...I can't wait to see pictures and hear more.

alison said...

brynn!
wow. i am so glad that you are having such a good time, what a fantastic opportunity to learn, grow, and expand your mind and experiences. i am so jealous. i love you! stay safe!