Sunday, February 22, 2009

fufu

So.........
the preparations for Africa are coming right along, and I am getting more excited as I learn new things. Last month at the SOHI training meeting, I was finally able to meet some of the people I will be going with, learn a bit about what to expect, and discuss the Ghanaian culture.
This is what they eat:
It's called fufu. It consists of mashed up stuff that they mold together in a little ball and eat with their hands. Apparently, it is really good; I'm excited to try it! I'm not too keen on trying the "bush meat" or the fish-head delicacy, but I guess it is all part of the experience, right? (Of course, they told us to bring plenty of peanut butter to act as a source of protein-- just in case).

I also realized that I am extremely out of practice in my ASL skills! I need to get back into the swing as SOON as I can.

This weekend, we have another training meeting where we will be talking about teaching strategies and learning more about the schools and students. I can't wait!

3 comments:

brittney perry said...

um. ew. keep me posted. but only if you throw up.

Spence said...

With a name like fufu, what could possibly be wrong with it? Kind of sounds like a little pomeranian dog, or maybe a hairdo, or the sound you make after you eat it. Hmmm. It's just gotta be good! Maybe you should take one of those squeeze bottles of caramel or chocolate topping... that could even make fish heads taste good!

Doctoral Studies said...

Brynn-Too funny that I just received an email from one of my past students who is going to Ughanda this summer with Global Expeditions along with Teen Mania Ministries. I had to contact your mom to see if maybe you were both going to be on the same trip.
What a great thing. Preparing has to be an event all of its own!
Keep us informed-
T.